I tried using strace but my server was going extremly slow when I started it
probably because we get so much traffic so i couldnt debug it...

I did run the gdb on a process and got this..
#0  0x003307a2 in _dl_sysinfo_int80 () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#1  0x00408dbd in poll () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#2  0x00af595f in apr_poll (aprset=0xbfe55310, num=1, nsds=0xbfe5530c,
    timeout=300000) at poll.c:130
#3  0x00af5d5f in apr_wait_for_io_or_timeout (f=0x0, s=0x959b4a8,
for_read=1)
    at waitio.c:54
#4  0x00aec19c in apr_socket_recv (sock=0x959b4a8,
    buf=0x9624688 "\n# AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php
.sc\r\nIndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README*
*/_vti*\r\nDirectoryIndex home.gc index.gc index.php\r\n\r\n<Limit GET
POST>\r\n#The next line modified b"...,
    len=0xbfe553e8) at sendrecv.c:87
#5  0x00fcc0dc in socket_bucket_read (a=0x95c0468, str=0xbfe553e4,
    len=0xbfe553e8, block=APR_BLOCK_READ) at apr_buckets_socket.c:36
#6  0x00fcd06a in apr_brigade_split_line (bbOut=0x95d0f50, bbIn=0x959b9a0,
    block=APR_BLOCK_READ, maxbytes=8192) at apr_brigade.c:289
#7  0x080b9a9b in core_input_filter (f=0x959b968, b=0x95d0f50,
    mode=AP_MODE_GETLINE, block=APR_BLOCK_READ, readbytes=0) at core.c:3802
#8  0x0806e8db in logio_in_filter (f=0x959b928, bb=0x95d0f50,
    mode=AP_MODE_GETLINE, block=APR_BLOCK_READ, readbytes=0) at
mod_logio.c:115
#9  0x080b3ae3 in ap_rgetline_core (s=0x95d02a0, n=8192, read=0xbfe55528,
    r=0x95d0288, fold=0, bb=0x95d0f50) at protocol.c:230
#10 0x080b4577 in ap_read_request (conn=0x959b580) at protocol.c:586
#11 0x0808bc6e in ap_process_http_connection (c=0x959b580) at
http_core.c:271
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
#12 0x080b0a62 in ap_run_process_connection (c=0x959b580) at connection.c:43
#13 0x080a5ad1 in child_main (child_num_arg=Variable "child_num_arg" is not
available.
) at prefork.c:610
#14 0x080a5cfb in make_child (s=Variable "s" is not available.
) at prefork.c:704
#15 0x080a5d8c in startup_children (number_to_start=5) at prefork.c:722
#16 0x080a645f in ap_mpm_run (_pconf=0x8c2c0a8, plog=0x8c6c1a8, s=0x8c32ed0)
    at prefork.c:941
#17 0x080ab803 in main (argc=4, argv=0xbfe558c4) at main.c:638

havent tried netstat yet because the problem isnt occuring right now..
Here is some info on the Apache we are using:
Server Version: Apache/2.0.61 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.61 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_bwlimited/1.4

We are running REDHAT Enterprise 4 i686 almost all our pages are dynamic
php.. and its running about 200 websites.. we dont have a load balancer..

All the requests are not from the same ip address very random.