Re: Apache Hangs.. Server-Status shows all Reading

On Nov 7, 2007, at 9:31 AM, Andrew Rosolino wrote:

I restarted apache and all was fine.. but then 20 minutes later they went back all into a reading state.. it appears as if slowly each processes goes
into the reading state?? I dont understand what the problem is.

If you have gdb on the box (and have some acumen using it), you can attach to one of the processes and see if it is hanging in something obvious.

If not, and your traffic is plaintext, I recommend the tcpdump approach to see what is going on traffic-wise, and what triggers the issue. I'd dump the traffic to disk (tcpdump -i ethX -s 0 -w / wherever/traffic.dump port 80) and take it over to a box with Ethereal/Wireshark for some cozy analysis.

If you're being DOS attacked by trickle requests, you could try setting a very low timeout (default is 5 minutes which doesn't seem to be working for you) and perhaps use mod_evasive or somesuch to flag and firewall the bad clients.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx