RE: Spam:Re: [users@httpd] mod_deflate with chunked gzipped input

Slive
> Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:02 AM
>
> On 10/10/07, Steve Bardsley <SBardsley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I'm sending chunked, gzipped POSTs to apache and it works, but
> > occasionally loses the request body.  After many hours of debug,
> > mod_deflate is suspect.  Debug included using mod_ext_filter and
> > instrumenting mod_deflate with extra log messages.
> >
> > After much searching of bugzilla and the mailing lists I found this
> > thread:
> >     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.user/61481/focus=61516
> >
> > The last message in the thread hints at a problem:
> >     "...should be fine for normal pages, but may be less than
optimal
> > for
> >      things like streaming contents."
> >
> > Is mod_deflate unreliable for inflating gzipped and chunked input?
>
> What version of apache are you using? Exactly what did your debugging
> identify as the problem? Did you get error messages in the log?
>
> I've never personally tried to do this, but you'll get better help if
> you provide more details about the situation

Yes, I forgot the version:  Apache 2.2.6 on Fedora Core 6 and Windows XP
both behave similarly.

I attempted to summarize above. I've put the hours in on this one and
have huge amounts of data, you don't want that.  Here's a little more
summary:
  - I'm using a simple PHP script to catch POSTed urlencoded form data.
  - The client gzips the POST body and streams it to the server
(chunked).
  - A single form variable contains a large set of data.
  - Most of the time the form variable and its associated data is
    received, but sometimes it is not.
  - There is no failure indication in the log; using LogLevel debug.
  - I instrumented mod_deflate.c with LOG messages.
  - There is a "FIXME" comment in the code; line 953
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/filters/mod_defla
te.c?view=annotate
  - It *seems* I see the problem whenever this section of code is hit.

Steve

Disclaimer: This message is intended only for the use of the noted recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential.

If you received this message in error, you must not, directly or indirectly, distribute, use, disclose, print, or copy any part of this message. Please notify the sender if you have received this message by mistake and erase this email and its contents from your system. Note that any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, note that email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, received late or incomplete, or infected with a virus. Therefore, the sender does not accept liability for any errors in the content of this message which arise as a result of email transmission.