Re: Reverse Proxy - Client IP

On 9/28/07, K Anand <kanand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm  using  apache 1.3.xx...I know it is way too old...
My situation is as follows :

Client   <----->   Apache      <------------>  Apache
                         (Rev Proxy)                       (Backend)

I have got access to CGI env vars on the Backend apache in my application. I
would like to get the client IP there.

I have tried this :

SetEnv REMOTE_IDENT %{X-Forwarded-For}i

and tried to access REMOTE_IDENT  in my application...But i get
%{X-Forwarded-For}i and not the value ...

SetEnv can't do that. SetEnvIf might be able to (with a suitable
change in syntax -- see the docs), or you could use mod_rewrite. But
why are you bothering? Your application should be able to directly
access X-Forwarded-For.

(Also, careful using X-Forwarded-For because it could contain more
than one IP address in the case of a chain of proxies.)

Joshua.

I did try to use X-Forwarded-For directly. But I did not get any value there.

Anand

I finally managed to get the client IP. I had to use mod_proxy_add_forward.c and
mod_rpaf ....

X-Forwarded-For header was not getting set. So I had to use mod_proxy_add_forward.c . Once that header got set, my app was not able to use it directly. As I had written earlier, my app can see only CGI vars...So then had to use mod_rpaf to move X-Forwarded-For into Remote IP.

Anand