Limiting connections per IP

Hi,

I am currently running Apache (prefork) 2.0.55 under Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. Apache
is running on a VPS with a limited amount of RAM so I have been
investigating ways to limit the number of processes being opened per
visitor.

My MaxClients setting is set to 38 which is just about all the RAM I have
for. However 99% of the time only 8-10 processes are in use. Occasionally
someone will run a site ripper which uses 30+ threads and my MaxClients
setting is then reached. New visitors will then face a delay.

To try and solve this I have tried 2 Apache modules, mod_cband and
mod_limitipconn - both have the ability to limit the number of connections
allowed per IP. However, both seem to need to launch an Apache process
before it can reject the connection with a 503, by which time the MaxClients
limit has already been reached.

Additionally I have investigated limiting the number of simultaneous
connections per IP using iptables. However, due to a bug in Ubuntu's
iptables, this option is not available to me. I cannot patch the kernel
either, as I am using a VPS.

So my question in simple terms is this: is there a way of limiting
simultaneous connections per IP without having to launch additional
processes to handle the rejections?

Any help appreciated, Oliver.