Understanding the APACHE 1.3 process model

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to clarify my understanding of the APACHE 1.3 process model
on Solaris UNIX.

As I understand, "Apache 1.3 on UNIX is a pre-forking process per
request server". This means that Apache effectively needs 1 HTTP process
per 1 concurrently connected client. For example, if [StartServers 5] is
set in httpd.conf, Apache starts with 6 HTTPD processes (5 childs + 1
parent). If there were 20 concurrently connected clients, then there
would be 21 HTTPD processes.

Firstly, is this correct understanding?

If so, my next question is thus:

What constitutes a "concurrently connected client"? At a moment in time,
if I run the following netstat command on a Solaris machine:

netstat -P tcp -n | grep ".80 " | grep -v TIME_WAIT | wc -l

I get '45', which is constituted as follows, with the following TCP
statuses:

23 x ESTABLISHED
1  x FIN_WAIT_1
20 x FIN_WAIT_2
1  x LAST_ACK
--
45

However, if I count the number of HTTPD processes at this same point in
time per '/usr/ucb/ps -auxww | grep httpd | wc -l', I get '35'.

Therefore, either my first premise above is wrong...or I am not
measuring the number of 'concurrently connected clients' accurately.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

Cheers, Craig

The information in this email together with any attachments is
and/or publication of this email message is prohibited, unless
as a necessary part of Departmental business.
computer system network.