Upgrading to PHP5 sent httpd processes through the roof

Dear experts,

I've been working through a process of upgrading our SUN web servers
from PHP4 to PHP5. An interesting thing happened when I did our Internet
web server this morning. Typically, the number of HTTP processes running
during business hours is about 20 - 40. However, upon installing PHP5
and changing the apache conf to load the new PHP5 module, increased the
number of processes to 100 - 130. Consequently consuming more memory and
swap.

PHP pages have marginally changed, but not significantly in structure.

Has anyone ever seen any activity like this?? It seems that it has
something to do with the new PHP5 library being loaded, as number of
processes increases pretty well straight away after restart of APACHE.

ENV: apache 1.3 on Sparc Solaris 8.

Relevent bits from httpd.conf:

Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5
MaxClients 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

Any help gratefully accepted :-).

Cheers, Craig

The information in this email together with any attachments is
and/or publication of this email message is prohibited, unless
as a necessary part of Departmental business.
computer system network.