RE: Unable to compile mod_rewrite

> > One last question then (the reason I'm even compiling apache in the
> > first place):
> >
> > I have an existing production server that does not have mod_rewrite
> > either as an .so or within the list of "httpd -l" .  Is it a very
> > stupid idea to download the particular version of Apache
> I'm currently
> > running, compile mod_rewrite as a shared module, put it in
> my existing
> > modules directory, and start using it?  That is... I would
> compile my
> > apache to
> > /usr/local/notapache2  and I'd just move
> > /usr/local/notapache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so to
> > /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
> >

> > I realize I should probably just take the opportunity to
> upgrade, but
> > I'm just wary of making changes.
>
> This will only work if the architecture is exactly the same
> and the two apache's have compatible binary interfaces (in
> general, that means the first two parts of the version number
> must be the same).
>
> If all that is true, it will probably work. But you could
> also just use apxs as described in the fourth example here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/dso.html#usage
>
> Joshua.

Thanks very much for your help Joshua,  this seems to have worked fine.
FTR, my version is 2.0.49, so I downloaded that version and did the
configure, make, make install with  mod-rewrite=shared. I then had a
mod_rewrite.so file that I just copied over to the existing server
deployment and  a restart seems to have loaded it fine.   Now, I just
have to get my regex right.

This now seems easy!  I think I'll compile a bunch of servers, just for
fun, on the weekend!   :)

(no, not really)