Re: Unable to compile mod_rewrite

On 9/7/07, gb1071nx <gb1071nx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ah, that's the n00b in me coming through.  I didn't connect "DSO" with
> *.so
>
> One last question then (the reason I'm even compiling apache in the
> first place):
>
> I have an existing production server that does not have mod_rewrite
> either as an .so or within the list of "httpd -l" .  Is it a very stupid
> idea to download the particular version of Apache I'm currently running,
> compile mod_rewrite as a shared module, put it in my existing modules
> directory, and start using it?  That is... I would compile my apache to
> /usr/local/notapache2  and I'd just move
> /usr/local/notapache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so to
> /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
>

> I realize I should probably just take the opportunity to upgrade, but
> I'm just wary of making changes.

This will only work if the architecture is exactly the same and the
two apache's have compatible binary interfaces (in general, that means
the first two parts of the version number must be the same).

If all that is true, it will probably work. But you could also just
use apxs as described in the fourth example here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/dso.html#usage

Joshua.