RE: Apache and mod_ssl

I fixed my compile error but I’m back to this original problem.  I’ve got it set up to listen with regular HTTP on port 8040 and HTTPS via 8045.  Connectinos to 8040 work find, connections 8045 exhibit the problem of child processes piling up and hanging around for ever.

Does ANYONE have an idea of what I can look at to track this problem down??

From: Aaron Smith [mailto:Aaron.Smith@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 2:04 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Apache and mod_ssl

            I have a feeling that I’m missing something elementary here.  I have an install of apache 2.0.55 with mod_ssl enabled on a HP-UX system in /opt/apache2.   This one runs fine.  I recompiled another copy of apache (same version) into /opt/apache2a (for testing purposes) to add mod_ldap support and that one worked as well.  Then I tried recreating apache2a in apache2 by doing a recompile using a prefix of apache2 and then doing an install after backing everything up and moving the old apache install out of the way.  However, this one DOESN’T work.  If I launch it WITHOUT SSL turned on (i.e, no SSLEngine on) directive, everything works great.  But as soon as I turn on SSL in a VirtualHost, then strange things happen.  A client will connect to the test port via SSL, the SSL negotiation appears to work just fine (tested using openssl s_client), but when you attempt to do a GET, the request is sent, but a reply never shows up.  Nothing appears in the access_log, and child processes begin to spawn with each request.  I can pull up the server-status url and everytime I hit refresh, one child process goes to “W” and another one is spawned.  Clicking repeatedly will continue this process until there are a ton of processes, all stuck at “Waiting” with 0/0/0 under the Acc columntDo it enough, the server’s load average starts to climb.

            I’ve checked and double checked every permission I can possible find.  The User and Group directives are both set to “webadmin” which is the same in all configurations. The permissions of the sub-directories in both directories match between the two.  I have this feeling that it’s simple with the directory permissions and/or structure but I just can’t seem to locate it.  Anyone have any ideas on what else I might need to look at?

Aaron