Apache and mod_ssl

            I have a feeling that I’m missing something elementary here.  I have an install of apache 2.0.55 with mod_ssl enabled on a HP-UX system in /opt/apache2.   This one runs fine.  I recompiled another copy of apache (same version) into /opt/apache2a (for testing purposes) to add mod_ldap support and that one worked as well.  Then I tried recreating apache2a in apache2 by doing a recompile using a prefix of apache2 and then doing an install after backing everything up and moving the old apache install out of the way.  However, this one DOESN’T work.  If I launch it WITHOUT SSL turned on (i.e, no SSLEngine on) directive, everything works great.  But as soon as I turn on SSL in a VirtualHost, then strange things happen.  A client will connect to the test port via SSL, the SSL negotiation appears to work just fine (tested using openssl s_client), but when you attempt to do a GET, the request is sent, but a reply never shows up.  Nothing appears in the access_log, and child processes begin to spawn with each request.  I can pull up the server-status url and everytime I hit refresh, one child process goes to “W” and another one is spawned.  Clicking repeatedly will continue this process until there are a ton of processes, all stuck at “Waiting” with 0/0/0 under the Acc columntDo it enough, the server’s load average starts to climb.

            I’ve checked and double checked every permission I can possible find.  The User and Group directives are both set to “webadmin” which is the same in all configurations. The permissions of the sub-directories in both directories match between the two.  I have this feeling that it’s simple with the directory permissions and/or structure but I just can’t seem to locate it.  Anyone have any ideas on what else I might need to look at?

Aaron