Apache server service within a knoppix VMWare appliance?

Hi;
I'm a brand-spanking new "newbie when it comes to Apache web server. I'll be atking a class next spring, but wanted to install it and "play" with it a bit before then.
I'm running a knoppix (linux/X Windows GUI) virtual appliance within a Windows XP enviroment (a DSL modem connected to a wireless router, with a firewall enabled on the router). In looking at the contents of the virtual HD root folder, the /etc/apache/ directory structure is present and contains the Apache configuration files. So I took a "leap of faith" and assumed Apache server was already installed & started on this image. But when I start the Firefox browser and enter the url - http://localhost/ I got the following error message:
"Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at the locahost." So this has to mean the service isn't running. I don't see it listed among the installed applications. Does X Windows have an equivalent of the Microsoft Windows control panel? I checked under the control center, system, utlities and settings but didn't find anything familiar. Do I need to do the binary install from
http://www.uniontransit.com/apache/httpd/binaries/linux/
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks & regards,
kp