trouble sending environmental variable

Hello:
I am new at this and have apache 2 on my local
machine.  On this machine, I can open a terminal,
start python, and import the scipy module.  That
module requires that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH vaiable be
set, which it is in my .rcbash file.  However, when I
run a cgi script the import of scipy fails and I get
the message that it cannot find the shared library it
is looking for.  I tried ading SeEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/path at the end of my httpd.conf file, and I also
tried adding PASSEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I stoped and
started hpptd again, both from the Services gui in
Fedora and via the apachestl script in a terminal.
None of these seem to fix the problem.  Can you
suggest anything I can try, and can you tell me how to
verify that the environmental variable was really set?
Thanks
John