Re: mod_ldap.so won't load

> [snip]Anyway, I added
> with-ldap=/usr/local/OpenLDAP.2.3 and enable-ldap=shared to the config.
> It had some issues locating the openssl libraries, but I managed to band
> aid that and get it all compiled. [snip] Attempting to start httpd
> with this config file, however, results in this error:
>
> Cannot load /opt/apache2/modules/mod_ldap.so into server: Unresolved
> external
>
> Which is frustratingly vague.  In fact, if I attempt to start the httpd
> on my test, parallel installation (the one I compiled myself), I get the
> same error.  Is there any way to get this to tell me WHAT it can't seem
> to find so I can start to figure out why?

You have your OpenLDAP directory in a non-standard place and I would guess
the same is true of the openssl libraries.  You need to add the full path
to the library directories to LD_LIBRARY_PATH bin/envvars which you can
find in your apache directory.

The technical reason for this is that specifying the library path with
config options just adds a -L to the link step.  It doesn't cause an rpath
to be added to the binary so it can find the library again when it runs.
So if your library is not in a standard directory or in your local
LD_LIBRARY_PATH httpd can't find it.  The envvars file is the method by
which you get around that problem.

Sheryl