Problems with process child on apache 2.0.4

Hi, i write 'cause i have a problem with apache, i have it running on fedora 6.0 and it was installed by rpm.

The problem is that the httpd process create like a hundred child process that saturated the server and make it slower.

My apache is configure with 4 virtualhosts and 3 of them are via proxy, connected through it another server, creating 3 layer model for the company wish I'm working for.

Later yesterday, the server was very slow and we thought that was our isp, but today we realize that was our server wish were running about 30 to 50 child process of httpd process as i father.

So, what can that be????

thank you very for the coming answers.

Good bye.