Re: Re: mod_deflate optimization

On 09/07/07, Julius Thyssen <jultus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html
shows an example almost identical to what I'm using,
with <Location tags. Not very indicative of your advice,
I would say. ;-)

That example doesn't include DeflateCompressionLevel :-)

I don't remember, but someone on the web, long ago,
advised me to use mod_deflate just to speed things up.
This may be versions ago, but I'm switching it off right now.

It might well do, but it's a tradeoff between slightly increased CPU
usage and smaller responses to the client. Clients on slow connections
will likely see an increased responsiveness on your site.

I see I'm also loading
mod_cache
mod_disk_cache
mod_mem_cache

Is there any way to make more use of these?
Less disk-reads, more memory caching perhaps
could speed up page-loading for my server.
But I just read another post in this list,
claiming the linux kernel already mem-caches everything.

See:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/caching.html
http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/

mod_cache implements a http cache so requires that your php pages send
appropriate headers to indicate cacheability and time-to-live. It'll
certainly be a good speed increase, but only for those pages which can
be cached, eg those which are identical regardless of the client over
a period of time. Anything that requires a login generally can't be
cached in this manner. For that scenario there are caching engine
specific to the php module which allow it to speed up script parsing
etc.

Of course you shouldn't attempt to optimise your server without having
some kind of benchmark to tell you if your changes are having any
effect. Apache bundles one such tool, the 'ab' command, and there are
several others available on the 'net.

--
noodl