Re: Re: mod_deflate optimization

On 09/07/07, Julius Thyssen <jultus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Actually, when I try to use itlike this:

<Location />

SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|wav|mp3|ogg|bmp|avi|mpg)$
no-gzip dont-vary
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
DeflateCompressionLevel 5
DeflateMemLevel 9
DeflateWindowSize 14

</Location>

I get:

"DeflateCompressionLevel not allowed here"

and httpd won't start.

Anyone care to explain what kind of permissions are involved here?
Should I point <Location /> to only the webdir I want to use deflate
for, and if so, how do I make it allowed there?

See the docs for that directive which include:

Context:	server config, virtual host

Meaning that this directive can be set in the main server context, or
<VirtualHost, but not in a container like <Location or <Directory.

As for your original post, if you don't have an issue with bandwidth
but otherwise want to speep up your site, are you sure adding the
overhead of compression is wise?

Also, I expect your SetOutputFilter is too general and may end up
having apache try in vain to compress image files.

--
noodl