Re: Redirect, Rewrite and php.ini

On 06/07/07, Senén de Diego <senen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've asked again our hosting provider about this and their (highly
irritating) answer has been:

"We are sorry however we do not provide coding or scripting support
through this forum. Mod_rewrite works just fine on our servers and your
question about AllowOverride goes in the php.ini. You can find this and
more information by performing a search on your favorite search engine."

That is, "look in Google..." What a support service!. And they keep
insisting I can solve this in php.ini.
I'm running out of (polite) arguments with this people and before
starting to be unpolite whit them I would like to ask you to confirm me
that this really has nothing to do with php.ini.

php.ini is the name typically given to the system-wide file that is
used to configure how php treats things like short_open_tags etc.
AllowOverride is the apache directive that governs which set of
directives may be used in htaccess files.

If there is any overlap, certain php features (those which would
normally go in php.ini) can be set in .htaccess files, depending on
the AllowOverride setting. See:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.changes.php

However, php.ini is not, unless your isp has done something
exceptionally odd, used to govern apache features such as rewrite. php
simply has no idea what those are.

Aside from which, the statement "your question about AllowOverride
goes in the php.ini" barely makes any logical sense.

I'm sorry I've been unable to answer your question.. Clearly
mod_rewrite is operating, I just can't fathom why it would appear to
give a 404 response to an arbitrary but "unrecognosed" file extension.
I would have to guess that there's some module running on your server
that is interfering with mod_rewrite's normal operation, but sadly it
doesn't seem like your ISP want to help determine what that might be.

Don't be discourraged, I'm sure there's a solution somewhere :-)

--
noodl