Stopping a form processing if size of file is too big with Apache.

Hello,
I have a POST form into which I allow the user to upload an image file
png, flash, gif, jpg.

Is there anything I can do with Apache involving artificially
stopping the upload after receiving enough bytes to constitute the
image header, and then deciding whether or not to proceed with the
upload at that point and if the file does meet the size parameters then
continue with the upload, if not then just return an error, advising the
user that the file is too big.

I don't want to use client-side application as this I think is not the
right way to do it, plus the fact that it may infringe on the privacy
i.e. my script reading the size file on the client computer. Maybe I am
wrong?

Any one with advise on how others approach this issue?

Cheers

Norman

--
Norman Khine