Re: Does Apache Support Piped Logs On Windows Platform

Frank,

On Jun 28, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Frank Misa wrote:

I've seen many references to Apache issues with logging to piped processes on the forums; but no clear answer on whether this is supported or not.
Can someone here please confirm -- Yes/No...
Do the latest versions of Apache 2.0.x OR Apache 2.2.x support piped logs on Windows ?

Piped logs are currently effectively broken on Windows, due to the way we do or don't pass valid file descriptors to the called process for stdout and stderr. Others more knowledgeable than myself can elucidate on this more eloquently than I can.

We're trying to fix it, but that hasn't happened so far. If you want to rotate your log files, the best approach is currently to rename them and then send your httpd service a restart signal using

\path\to\httpd -n Apache2 -k restart

with the name of the Windows Service as argument to the -n parameter. You can script this in any language that pleases you, and run it periodically in the Windows Scripting Host.

>>SecAuditLog "|C:/Perl/bin/perl.exe C:/fmm/ApacheSSL224/bin/modsec- auditlog-collector.pl"

I haven't reviewed mod_security to this extent but does it use the Apache logging APIs? Or does it do its own thing?

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx