Re: IE7 running on Windows Vista does not display page via https

Hi Bill,

I am using a cacert (cacert.org). I didn't have the root cert installed and was getting the IE error complaining about it which I ignored. I now installed the root cacert into IE7 but, unfortunately I still let the error.

It must be something with my apache setup. Even tough I am using mod_auth_kerb I get the error even if I just use basic auth in an .htaccess file.

thanks,
Tyler

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
dmanov@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have Windows XP Pro running Apache 2.2.4 (Win32)
mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8d

When accessing the site with IE7 running on Windows Vista,
IE7 says „Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage“.
With any other release of IE (even IE7 on Windows XP) and
Firefox on any Windows there is no problem.

I red a lot of forums and saw this problem described, but i
cannot find any solution. All I understood is that Windows
Vista hardened the security and „corresponds“ with W3C
standards, and this is the cause of the problem!?!?!

I can pretty much assure you IE7 isn't limited to W3C nor IETF defined
standards ;-)  But if they finally obey Content-Type text/plain, or
binary/octet-stream, and no longer dynamically recatagorize them, then
MS IE team might earn a few kudos from me :)

Rather - you mention SSL.  Is this a self signed certificate?  If so,
have you tried loading the self-signed CA cert into your IE browser
before attempting to hit the site?  If this message is really "we've
hardened SSL, you must use a trustworthy certificate" then teach IE7
to trust it first.

Let us know if this is related.

Bill