Re: Ajax Recipe

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:00:02 -0700
Adam Bragg <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to build as lean as an Apache as possible. Please
> forgive my extended explanation. I only include all the excess here
> so that I might find help that will remove the excess from my Apache
> build. I am a web developer/designer who is great with Javascript and
> decent with plsql and mysql. I can do a standard and modified install
> of apache and configure the server to work well out to the real
> world but I am not very experienced with Apache.
>
> MY GOAL is to build as lean of an Apache as possible with
> functionality that will act as a pass through to the database from
> the client. After some research I found that Nick Kew at Webthing
> has created what I think I need but I am having difficulty
> implementing the modules and component that follow:
> 1. mod_form - http://apache.webthing.com/mod_form/ (to accept post
> ajax calls)
> 2. mod_upload - http://apache.webthing.com/mod_upload/ (to accept
> images posted)
> 3. mod_xmlns - http://apache.webthing.com/mod_xmlns/ (to support
> mod_sql)
> 4. mod_sql - http://apache.webthing.com/database/mod_sql.html (to
> insert sql requests and replies from mysql)
> 5. apr_dbd_mysql.c - http://apache.webthing.com/svn/apache/apr/
> apr_dbd_mysql.c (to connect to mysql) ( I placed it in httpNN/srclib/
> apr-util/dbd before the ./config)

Please note that some of those modules are very experimental,
and mod_sql in particular needs updating.  Joachim Zobel's
mod_sqil presents a more up-to-date alternative.  But I guess
you're expecting to have to put some work into this:-)

> After reading the Apache documentation, I decided to attempt to load
> all my needed modules during the configuration and install so that
> Apache would run as efficiently as possible.

Sounds like a waste of time & effort.

> Some excess excess information:
> I am trying to build a web server diminishing the middle tier as
> much as possible. I code all day long writing ColdFusion, Javascript,
> and PL/SQL, but I find myself relying on ColdFusion as just a
> passthrough for my Ajax calls to the database. I am most often just
> returning datasets to my Javascript on the client which is making
> ColdFusion seem a bit bloated for my needs. So, I want to find an
> architecture that will allow me to make requests to the database tier
> and return preformatted results. Specifically, I want to return JSON
> strings from my PL/SQL, which I already do, but use Apache to write
> the strings in the reply to the request.

You might want to add mod_cache to your toolkit!

> In the end, after I have everything running, I want to write this up
> as a recipe because I think this type of architecture will become
> much more popular with the trend of more of the application moving
> away from the middle tier to the front-end and to the back end.

Good idea!

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/