Ajax Recipe

Hi All,

I am trying to build as lean as an Apache as possible. Please forgive my extended explanation. I only include all the excess here so that I might find help that will remove the excess from my Apache build. I am a web developer/designer who is great with _javascript_ and decent with plsql and mysql. I can do a standard and modified install of apache and configure the server to work well out to the real world but I am not very experienced with Apache.

MY GOAL is to build as lean of an Apache as possible with functionality that will act as a pass through to the database from the client. After some research I found that Nick Kew at Webthing has created what I think I need but I am having difficulty implementing the modules and component that follow:
1. mod_form - http://apache.webthing.com/mod_form/ (to accept post ajax calls)
2. mod_upload - http://apache.webthing.com/mod_upload/ (to accept images posted)
3. mod_xmlns - http://apache.webthing.com/mod_xmlns/ (to support mod_sql)
4. mod_sql - http://apache.webthing.com/database/mod_sql.html (to insert sql requests and replies from mysql)
5. apr_dbd_mysql.c - http://apache.webthing.com/svn/apache/apr/apr_dbd_mysql.c (to connect to mysql) ( I placed it in httpNN/srclib/apr-util/dbd before the ./config)

After reading the Apache documentation, I decided to attempt to load all my needed modules during the configuration and install so that Apache would run as efficiently as possible. I have been successful at getting modules that come with the standard Apache 2.2.4 distribution to load as shared modules and static modules but I have not been successful with the modules above. I placed the modules above in the 'modules/experimental' directory as well as in their own 'modules/ajax' directory but I think I do not know the purpose of the distinction of the directories and I am likely using them incorrectly. During my time in the Apache documentation I also came across some discussion that made me wonder if these third party modules could be compiled with Apache during the install or if they can only be added via apxs as shared modules.

QUESTIONS:
1. Is there a better set of modules I can use to accomplish my goal?
2. Do you see any issues with the above modules accomplishing my goal?
3. What is the proper method for loading these modules into Apache?

Some excess excess information:
I am trying to build a web server diminishing the middle tier as much as possible. I code all day long writing ColdFusion, _javascript_, and PL/SQL, but I find myself relying on ColdFusion as just a passthrough for my Ajax calls to the database. I am most often just returning datasets to my _javascript_ on the client which is making ColdFusion seem a bit bloated for my needs. So, I want to find an architecture that will allow me to make requests to the database tier and return preformatted results. Specifically, I want to return JSON strings from my PL/SQL, which I already do, but use Apache to write the strings in the reply to the request.

In the end, after I have everything running, I want to write this up as a recipe because I think this type of architecture will become much more popular with the trend of more of the application moving away from the middle tier to the front-end and to the back end.

Thank you for your time and attention. Any and all help is appreciated, even if it is comments on how I have made my request or that it is such a grand request in my very first post in this list.

Adam P. Bragg

adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx