From: jslive@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:jslive@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joshua
Slive
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:04 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Custom Logs

On 6/13/07, CHOKOLA, PETER J, ATTLABS <pc9840@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are you absolutely sure you are editing the correct config file?
> I am  editing httpd.conf

Yes, but is it actually being used? If you put in an obvious syntax
error and then restart the server, does it give you an error message?

I had previously bumped up a different directive (changed LogLevel from
warn to debug) and I believe it was the error log that was flooded with
more descriptive information, so I know that at least apache is reading
the httpd.conf file.  Actaully, it was filling the log file so fast that
users could no longer get into Apache so I had to bump it down a couple
of levels.

> Did you comment-out the existing CustomLog directive?
> There were no other uncommented CustomLog directives (default
httpd.conf
> file).  Which is something that I do not understand.  How does the
> default log type get set if the Custom Log is not used.  Is that built
> into the Apache executable?  When I uncomment the CustomLog command,
> does that cause the default log type to now be directed to the new
> Custom Log?

This leads me to be believe you are a little lost in your config
files. If there is no CustomLog (or TransferLog) directive, then
apache will not write an access_log file.

Could the default be set in the httpd-std.conf file.  I do not know the
purpose of that file, but I see them set there.

Going back to your first message, I'm also a little concerned that you
may be mixing up the error_log and access_log. Only the latter is
controlled by CustomLog.

I actually do a "tail" on all log files when I make a change, just to
make sure I am not missing it.

I guess I have a lot more reading to do, because I am missing something
very basic if it is supposed to be as simple as just setting up the two
directives.  Thanks for the help.

Joshua.