Re: Stupid Question: Canonical Name Rewrite Location

On 5/3/07, Ann Hopkins <seashell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a server with multiple hosts names on one IP address. I have
figured out from all the searches I made that I can do rewrite the
other hosts names to "correct" the address to "www".

ServerName www.example.com:80
ServerName a.example.com:80
ServerName b.example.com:80
ServerName c.example.com:80
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.example\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://www.example.com/$1 [L,R]

My question is all the examples I have seen are within a "Virtual
Host" directive.  I don't see any problem with making it global as I
only have one IP address to worry about.

My stupid question is:

Why "Virtual Host"?  Is there some sort of security issue with
having the "RewriteEngine on" in the master file?

If you don't have any virtual hosts, then you can certainly put
RewriteEngine, etc in the main config. I don't know what examples you
are talking about, but it could be placed inside a <VirtualHost> just
because people dealing with multiple hostnames typically already have
some <VirtualHost>s setup.

By the way, you should only have a single ServerName in the main part
of your config.

Joshua.