Re: send mmap timed out

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I had given the problem a lower
priority, assuming (hoping) it was just one of these mysterious
incidents that only occurs once, when -of course- it happened again.
And -of course- again when I wasn't looking.

Was this just a denial-of-service attack? Did you use a tool like
netstat to identify the client connections and track down the origin?

No. I have scrutinized the access and error log files several times,
and I don't see anything suspicious: no sudden increase of traffic, no
increase in requests to specific files, not even more errors than
usual. (Apart from the one in the subject, but I've started to become
more convinced that that isn't the problem. Today, it had occurred
only once just before the problems started.)

Only the number of httpd processes increases suddenly: I have been
monitoring the number of processes on a minute by minute basis, and it
really is normal one minute and at its maximum the next one. I had
been thinking it might be an infinite loop somewhere in a script, but
then why would this script be called so many times at once? And why
doesn't the error occur most of the time? And why doesn't Apache
realise that there is a problem and 'kill' some processes itself?

Questions.. questions... and I realise I probably am not giving a lot
of clues that might lead to a solution. But really, if only I had such
clues...

But perhaps someone here knows what it could be. And if not, thanks
for your time anyway. :)

Martijn.

PS a little bit form httpd.conf:

Timeout 300

KeepAlive Off
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 5

MinSpareServers 25
MaxSpareServers 30
StartServers 30
MaxClients 85
MaxRequestsPerChild 10000

(I just realised that I had changed MaxClients fro 75 to 85 the other
day -and restarted apache twice since- but the number of processes
still doesn't get higher than 75. Weird.)