send mmap timed out

Hello.

This is a bit of a long shot. I've done a bit of Google-search, but
that only gives a small number of hits, most of which are unanswered
questions on mailing lists or message boards.

Our web server occasionally gives the following 'errors' in the error_log file:

[Mon Apr 23 12:41:40 2007] [info] [client 12.34.56.78] send mmap timed out

and, more frequently:

[Mon Apr 23 12:41:40 2007] [info] [client 12.34.56.78] (32)Broken
pipe: client stopped connection before send mmap completed

This usually isn't a problem and it never worried me (it is, after
all, marked as "info"), until a number of the former errors, followed
by a number of the latter errors (about 30 of each) caused the server
to crash. The errors were all related to the same IP address and, as
far as I can see, this belongs to a genuine user.

I did, however, find in the access log files that their results
returned httpd status '206' (partial content) and the number of bytes
on large files, was always a nice rounded number, like 32768 (which is
2^15). It suggests that the problem has to do with the user
downloading only parts of larger files (pdfs/gifs) and, I would guess,
leaving an httpd process waiting for it to finish? At least the number
of httpd processes had reached its maximum (which is why the server
crashed).

But I don't know if my guesses are correct. And even if they are, what
has really happened (for instance: is this really a problem with the
client or with the server). And, of course, how to make sure this
won't happen again.

Martijn