RE: IP address discimination

Frankly, if you don't know for certain what's in the config, it's
impossible to advise a solution. I don't understand phrases like "does
not use NameVirtualHost" - if you want to do name-based VHing, you
*must* use NameVirtualHost. This is the very directive that makes
NBVHing work and if you don't put it in, it won't. It's not some
optional extra syntactic sugar or something...

> Could I force the latest apache on FC3? Its kernel is
> 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3.

I've no idea - why not try it? Download the latest tarball and compile
it. This is not such a leap in the dark - I'm sure there are thousands
of 2.2 servers running on Linux.

> Are all its configs backwardly compatible with 2.0.51?

There are several config changes between 1.3 and 2.2 so in general a 1.3
config can't be expected to work immediately on a 2.2 server. I'm not
too sure about 2.0, but I suspect there would be some changes required
(it all depends on the directives you use - 95% are unchanged but there
are always a few that have altered; mostly in mod_auth and mod_proxy...)

However, if the underlying config is broken (ie, has no NameVirtualHost
directive and tries to do name-based VHing) then upgrading won't help
you.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thanks
>
> --
> http://www.phonewebcam.com
> john.steel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.