Re: IP address discimination

Boyle Owen wrote:
I have 2 dedicated Fed linux servers, one running httpd 2.0.51, which does not show this problem, and the other running 2.0.53 which does. Both host about 30 domains across 8 IP addresses each. The problem I'm trying to solve is an automatic redirection of http://example.com to http://www.example.com.
If two different things happen to two configs that are identical, then
they're not...
You must have a NameVirtualHost directive somewhere for 1.2.3.4 (any
included files?). Anyway, why fight it? You absolutely *need*
NameVirtualHost to do name-based virtual-hosting so just type it in and
end the pain.

Agreed. Heres a fuller picture - I posted it this way in case you experts spotted it right away. The servers run Plesk, which adds truckloads of scattered httpd.conf include files all over the shop. That probably explains the "identical configs" problem, so I'll dig more. Along with all that its a whole load of custom software depending on Plesk 7.5. Other users trying to just yum their way from FC3-FC6 break things horribly and just revert back. I did FC2->FC3 but thats the only safe way. The medium term goal is to change servers, but the custom s/w is tedious to migrate (but it is happening). So basically I am back where I started, looking for oddities, hoping 2.0.51/2.0.53 might be diffrerent etc.
Couple of other points... - Why use ServerAlias instead of ServerName? Maybe it works, but then I
guess you could drive a car by operating the clutch with your right
foot, too.
The Plesk generated files have it and httpd.conf does not use NameVirtualHost. It may be in some other file Plesk meddles with. When I do add it to the main httpd.conf I get a whole set of different problems. Just to pre-empt, our apache is running mod_caucho, its a module to wire resins app server between the 2 (this is part of the custom software I mentioned).

Could I force the latest apache on FC3? Its kernel is 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3. Are all its configs backwardly compatible with 2.0.51?

Thanks