Re: Debugging mod_proxy for performance

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for your response. Yes I know there is someting wrong, and I
need to find out what. I have tried both v2.2.3 and 2.2.4 of httpd.
All options in config file were left to their default values, and I
have only added two virtual hosts and few mod_proxy rules. We are
running httpd on a machine with 4 AMD Opetran processors and 8GB RAM
running RHEL 4. Any pointers to help me debug will be very helpful.

thanks
Nilesh

On 4/8/07, Alexey Polyakov <alexey.polyakov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/8/07, Nilesh Bansal <nileshbansal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have a Apache httpd running with mod_proxy in front of a Tomcat
> server. We have noticed that httpd is slower than expected. After
> enabling logging of time-to-serve in both Tomcat and httpd, it turns
> out that while Tomcat can serve each request in less than a second,
> httpd in many cases takes 3-5 seconds (i.e., adding a delay of 3-4
> seconds).

3-4 seconds? Looks like there's something terribly wrong with your
config, like resolve hostnames turned on in Apache config. mod_proxy
shouldn't add more than 200-300 microseconds for such small requests
on modern hardware.

--
Alexey Polyakov

Nilesh Bansal.