Debugging mod_proxy for performance

Hi all,

We have a Apache httpd running with mod_proxy in front of a Tomcat
server. We have noticed that httpd is slower than expected. After
enabling logging of time-to-serve in both Tomcat and httpd, it turns
out that while Tomcat can serve each request in less than a second,
httpd in many cases takes 3-5 seconds (i.e., adding a delay of 3-4
seconds).

I have a few queries:
1. How can I debug/profile where the time is being spent? mod_proxy
should be faster than this.

2. What all things times logged by httpd/Tomcat in their log files
include? I mean, does it include the time when a query arrives at the
server to time when it is fully served. Or does it include time when
query was issued from the client and time when the response reaches
back the client.

We have enabled server-status on httpd, and it shows something like:
CPU Usage: u16.35 s15.57 cu0 cs0 - .00138% CPU load
1.07 requests/sec - 8.1 kB/second - 7.6 kB/request
10 requests currently being processed, 15 idle workers

We are currently using prefork. Will changing the MPM to worker help?

Please let me know if there are any good debugging tools available to
track a request, and monitor time spent at each step.

thanks
Nilesh

--
Nilesh Bansal.