Re: Apache problem with MSIE

prash reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for responses, sorry to ask the same question again, bcoz i
> could not slove the problem.
> As i found that IE fetching the entire webpage from weblogic server
> intsead of from local cache when i hit the back button.
>
> So, is there any directive or apache setting that might prevent the
> client(browser) to fetch the web page from weblogic server when i hit
> the back button. Instead, it can fetch it from local cache.

Well IE suffers from many caching bugs, but if you say it used work then
try using mod_cache, or just set last modified headers (if you can  - if
the file isnt dynamic) and if the file is dynamic then your application
logic should send the correct headers for the browser functionality it
needs.
For instance using

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
        ExpiresActive On
        ExpiresByType image/gif A86400
        ExpiresByType image/png A86400
        ExpiresByType text/html A3600
#html expires after 1 hour from when accessed
</IfModule>

would instruct Apache to send the headers
Expires: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 23:50:25 GMT
Cache-Control: max-age=3600

which might suffice for you.

MSIE will then need to start sending this typoe of request header:
If-Modified-Since: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 06:55:25 GMT
If-None-Match: "5edc1-5ae-c934e2c"

If MSIE sends this kind of thing you know that it is saying "do you have
a newer version for me" to Apache, if the answer is no then it wont
request the file and will retrieve it from its cache.