Re: Memory problems from browser point of view

On Mar 15, 2007, at 5:32 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:

On 3/15/07, jekillen <jekillen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello;
I have not had experience with this in the past
but I am doing a large project in php and I
need to know what Apache sends the browser
when it is having memory problems.

If you have MaxClients tuned correctly (that is, low enough that
apache processes never wind up in swap space), then when you are low
on memory apache will hit MaxClients and further clients will simply
not be able to connect until a process is available to serve them.

If MaxClients is not tuned correctly, then apache will start trying to
use swap space and responses will become slower and slower until the
server essentially looks dead.

Thanks for the reply. Now I have more to work with
In the first situation, MaxClients is low enough, what
sort of message is likely to be presented? Would this
be distinguishable from  a message generated by
the server being off line?
Jeff K