Memory problems from browser point of view

Hello;
I have not had experience with this in the past
but I am doing a large project in php and I
need to know what Apache sends the browser
when it is having memory problems. For test
purposes when I have users test the program
I want to be able to get a feel for how much
memory I can expect it to use, when it gets
used and what the user will see.
Presently the machine this program is on
is a machine that will be running Apache
with ssl and php v5.2.1, gd, and mcrypt and has 1Gb
of DDR2 memory installed. Has the doc
root on a 15k SCSI drive that is dedicated
to the file system that contains the document
root tree. It is not /usr, where all the software
is. That is on another 15k SCSI drive. So I
would not think access times to be too much
of an issue. But the php scripts will do a lot
of file reading and writing (not e-mail).
httpd is the only server that will be running
on this machine as it is a production server
and will be running headless, thus no GUI.
It will be running ftpd but only for posting
content and scripts that have already been
proven on a development server on inside
network, (ftp, telnet, ssh are blocked on public network
and no mail server will be running)
Thanks in advance
Jeff K