Re: Apache Examples Extreme Web Servers

To sum up;

* we are using ulimit -n 32000 and more while trying to restart apache but it does not work.
* do you have ideas or numbers that you could offer for "sysctl -a" parameters?
* also for tarballs we prefer them and use them.
* for offer hosting less websites on a single server, it could be an idea but, we use fully redundant servers, raid, dual cpu, huge ram, dual power suppy, and it costs much, so we need to get out of it.
* for fail over server, we are hosting more than 15.000 websites in more than 20 webservers, so the fail over is not efficient in usd :)

On 3/14/07, Sean Conner <spc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Jaqui Greenlees once stated:

> > You could check the php config and other details at
> > http://82.222.170.52/i.php
>
> This was not a good idea, this list has publicly
> accesable archives of all messages.

And how is this any different than when it's requested to post
configurations here, unaltered, for help in debugging?  (sorry, "security
through obscurity" is a hot button topic for me, one that I don't believe
in).

> > We are using Redhat Enterprise Linux 4, we are
> > installing apache , php , and modules from source.
>
> Why not use the RHEL supplied packages? it would
> simplify the administration and patching for bugs and
> security issues.

I found the exact opposite.  Using the tarballs to install has been by far
easier on me than expecting the various package managmenet tools to work
correctly (I've been burned by apt-get, yum and emerge too many times to
even bother with them any more).

-spc