Re: Apache Examples Extreme Web Servers

--- linux guru <linuxs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anybody host about 2000-2500 virtual sites in
> single server?
>
> Which version of Apache do you prefer 2.0 or 2.2 for
> hosting thousands of websites?

I personally would use 2.2, since it's the active
version for development and support.

> Do you have examples or some experiment about the
> httpd.conf for this kind of servers?
>
> Have you ever noticed an error like this below;
>
> apachectl stop, OK
> apachectl start, No responce. FAIL

With that many virtual hosts on one machine, the
server may not be completely cleaned up after the stop
before you try starting it again. It takes the os a
few seconds to clean the ram / swap after shutting
down apache without that many virtual hosts.

> open the file which has virtual host records,
> inc.vhost.httpd.conf put #
> sign
> start of 30-40 lines save and close the file.
>
> apachectl start, OK
>
> open the file again and remove the #'s
>
> apachectl graceful, OK

Graceful ans stop / start are two entirely different
functions. Graceful / restart rereads the conf and
applies changes on the fly in functionality.
The stop / start completely cleans the server from the
system stack then starts it up again.

> Please help :) We are getting mad more and more
> everyday.
>
> You could check the php config and other details at
> http://82.222.170.52/i.php

This was not a good idea, this list has publicly
accesable archives of all messages.

> We are using Redhat Enterprise Linux 4, we are
> installing apache , php , and modules from source.

Why not use the RHEL supplied packages? it would
simplify the administration and patching for bugs and
security issues.

> The servers are extremly powerful and does not have
> other services like mysql or mail server. only
apache  > serving.

You should still have a backup server running with
fail-over configured so that clients service isn't
interrupted if the server fails. It would be a good
idea to have fewer virtual hosts on any one machine,
just to reduce the number of clients affected by any
problems.

Jaqui