Re: Re: Setting <IfDefine> parameters from config file

On 13/03/07, Venkateswara Rao Parimi <parimiv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hello,

Is this addressed or any workaround found to define a parameter within
config files?

No, it's not addressed and like Dean points out in the message you
quoted, doesn't need to be in this way. The question asked here is
"can i define variables in the config file to be resolved at server
startup". The answer's no, though there are tools like m4 (or any
other template/macro solution, ruby irb works well) and modules like
mod_macro that can do this. The point being that as there are
perfectly decent text munging tools on unix environments there's no
point in apache duplicating effort.

And besides, a more interesting question is "can i define variables at
runtime (yes) and use them in my config (sometimes but not often
enough)".

Thanks in advance for the responding!

>Yes, Dean, you are allowed to say that. =)
>
> Brian

>On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> Do I get to say "I told you so" here?
>
> (For those who've forgotten, I'm referring to my opinion that we shouldn't
> have ever introduced this <If> crud, and should have told people to use a

> preprocessor like M4, because this is exactly what they're intended to
> support... inching bit by bit towards a full config language sucks.)
>
> Dean
>
> On Mon, 31 May 1999, David Harris wrote:

> > I'd like to be able to define parameters for <IfDefine> directives with
> > directive inside a configuration file.. not just the -D flag from the
> > command line. I've looked around in the documentation and I don't see
any

--
noodl