Re: mod_rewrite problem

On Mar 8, 2007, at 8:33 AM, matt farey wrote:

yeah, if you compare the number and type of rewrites for this package
with the way that wordpress used to operate, there is a lot of
correlation, instead now wordpress uses a much simpler form of rewrite
which directs the REQUEST_URI to the application for subsequent
alteration, as is the case with your serendipity app. My idea would be
to handle all the serendipity rules with the app, leaving a much smaller
set of rules which would happily coexist and be easy to modify. I know
you say you aren't a php developer, but it wouldn't be that hard to
locate and alter the script, perhaps though it would be difficult to
subsequently update Serendipity and you would feel this would be a step
too far. my $0.02 - when wordpress changed their rewrite rules from 2k
down to  4 lines it was great!

Actually, after the behavior I've been seeing while trying to work out this issue, I think the serendipity application may already work this way, in spite of the fact that it writes out that long list of rules. If I am understanding what is going on properly, then as long as the REQUEST_URI typed into the address bar is one that serendipity understands (i.e. /categories/8-Nagios) then it doesn't really matter what it is rewritten to, as long as the rewrite calls index.php? So, in theory at least, I should be able to replace all those rewrites with a blanket rewrite whatever to index.php?url=, and it should still work. Of course, I would need to have exceptions for the things I DON'T want handled my the serendipity php script, but that shouldn't be too difficult. I'll have to experiment with that some.

--
Matthew Farey

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician