Re: Help: how to configure multiple apache servers behind a hardware load balancer

anton wrote:
> Thanks, Krist.  I thought that it should work in
> theory too, but it doesn't in practice :(  Basically,
> about 10% of requests to www.mydomain.com fail (time
> out) if I set the servernames to www.mydomain.com for
> both servers and then try to use VirtualHosts.  We
> have to use virtualhosts because we need things like
> partner1.mydomain.com and partner2.mydomain.com.
>
> I am not sure what to do at this point.
>
> Anton
>
> --- Krist van Besien <krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>> On 3/8/07, anton <way_uhf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm a decently experienced apache user on ONE
>>> webserver.  I'm trying to switch to two apache
>>>
>> servers
>>
>>> behind a Foundry hardware load balancer.
>>>
>>> I need a tutorial which would explain how to
>>>
>> configure
>>
>>> multiple apache servers behind a hardware load
>>> balancer.
>>>
>>> I have a domain name correctly resolving to the
>>> balancer's ip and the balancer correctly
>>>
>> forwarding
>>
>>> the requests to each server.  That's working fine.
>>> Things get confusing when I try to configure each
>>> server's ServerName and virtual hosts.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>> You just need to make sure each server has the
>> server name that the
>> client sees. So if you have
>> www.mydomain.com
>> and this resolves correctly to the loadbalancer than
>> you just  need to have
>> ServerName www.mydomain.com
>> in your config on each server.
>>
>> In theory you could even run each webserver with the
>> same httpd.conf.
>>
>> Krist
>>
>> --
>> krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx
>> Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
>> --
>> A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
>> Q: What's wrong with top-posting?
>> A: Top-posting.
>> Q: What's the biggest scourge on plain text email
>> discussions?

>>    "   from the digest:
>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> users-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

this might sound silly, but since neither backend server needs DNS, do
you have hostname lookups off, do you have all your vhosts of the form
<vhost  ip:port>
servername www.mydomain.com
</vhost>
rather than
<vhost www.mydomain.com:port>
servername www.mydomain.com
</vhost>
could this be a hosts or DNS issue, a throw over from when things
referred to different NICs/IPs, have you tried a packet sniffer like
wireshark - my answer to almost every apache debuggering session, and
tried to see why those tcp requests aren't happening, or whether its a
http issue?
ignore me if I'm barking incoherently.
matt