Re: Apache 2.2 utilize more physical memory than apache 1.3

Hi,

No i am  not measuring memory per process and i am adding all the RSS of the httpd process of particular apache instance to find total memory usage every one sec.

In  prefork(No of process will be more than worker) also i am using the same process  and i am adding all the RSS of the httpd process of the particular apache instance  to find total physical memory usage every one sec

Anyway physical memory in worker should be less the prefork right?

Regards,
Arun

On 2/28/07, arun kumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using the below command to monitor the physical memory.
>
> ps -e -o pcpu,vsz,rss,pid,args |grep -v grep | grep "apacheprojectname"
>
> Below is the sample output for the worker module
>
> 0.0 34608 32744 25609
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/bin/httpd -f
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/co
> 0.0 4968 2648 25610
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/bin/httpd -f
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/co
> 0.1 35656 4440 26107
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/bin/httpd -f
> /local/home/kumarar3/apache/aws/co
>
> In this output third column is physical memory usage(RSS) . i am adding all
> RSS of the httpd process to find the total physical memory usage of httpd
> process every time.
>
> Any thing wrong in the process of monitoring??

There are many different version of ps on many different operating
systems and we have no details about what you are using.

But it looks to me like you are measuring the memory usage per
process. But with the worker mpm, many different worker threads will
be sharing the same process. So one process in the worker mpm is
equivalent to many processes in the prefork mpm or in apache 1.3.