Re: Re: apache/linux newbie has Test Page that won't die

On Feb 8, 2007, at 5:35 PM, Urijah Kaplan wrote:

Okay, at first glance what you said was just a lot of jargon. I'm
slowly trying to translate, so please tell me if I'm on the right
track.

1) What's a "graceful" restart? Right now, I'm just pressing restart
on the simple control panel godaddy gives me. When I ssh in, what
should I type in? (I'm guessing you mean restarting Apache and not the
whole server--right? How do you do that?)

Godaddy? I thought we were talking about your server? Or do you lease your server from Godaddy?

Anyway, from our preceding conversation I assume that your Apache is installed from a Centos (or Red Hat Enterprise) RPM package. This package typically installs a startup script /etc/init.d/httpd: execute this without arguments to see what it can do:

[root@centos38 root]# /etc/init.d/httpd
Usage: httpd {start|stop|restart|condrestart|reload|status|fullstatus| graceful|help|configtest}

These are far more options than Apache provides by default, and most of them have to do with Red Hat specific stuff, but note the presence of 'restart' and 'graceful'.

restart makes Apache re-read its configuration file. All child processes are terminated, and users currently being served a page will be cut off.

graceful makes Apache re-read its configuration file, but the child processes are allowed to finish serving their current requests before dying.

2)  Where are these VirtualHost Settings stored? I don't see them in
/etc/httpd/conf/welcome.conf I don't really need a VirtualHost (I
think), because this server will be for only one site. Is there any
downside to using a Virtual Host?

The Red Hat package, which is NOT a standard configuration of Apache, is configured through /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, which includes all the files /etc/httpd/conf.d/*.conf . If you have any VirtualHost declarations for a listening port, the first of those in the list will get all requests on that port, except if there is a NameVirtualHost and the client is accessing sites by name. The default configuration has one virtual host, for SSL.

The matching algorithm is complicated and occasionally trips me up, too. You can find information about it on:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/

3) What does "non-matching requests (that don't contain a matching
Host: header)" mean?

Most web sites today operate as name-based virtual hosts, where a web server on one IP addres serves many sites, whose hostnames all resolve to the same IP address. So how does Apache know with which virtual host configuration to handle each incoming request? The solution is that all modern browsers send a "Host: hostname" header along with its requests. The server uses that information to route the incoming requests. Requests without that Host: header (like Internet Explorer 2 used to send) arrive at a default virtual host, which is the first listed in your configuration file that listens on the Port that receives the request.

4)Where is the DirectoryIndex directive? What does it do?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_dir.html#directoryindex

5)I sense a lot of reading coming up for me...

Enjoy. The advantage of a steep learning curve is that you get to learn a lot in a very short time.

Keep in mind that Apache is free, and you can install a copy on your own machine to experiment.

S.

--
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx            http://www.temme.net/sander/