Re: Re: apache/linux newbie has Test Page that won't die

Okay, at first glance what you said was just a lot of jargon. I'm
slowly trying to translate, so please tell me if I'm on the right
track.

1) What's a "graceful" restart? Right now, I'm just pressing restart
on the simple control panel godaddy gives me. When I ssh in, what
should I type in? (I'm guessing you mean restarting Apache and not the
whole server--right? How do you do that?)

2)  Where are these VirtualHost Settings stored? I don't see them in
/etc/httpd/conf/welcome.conf I don't really need a VirtualHost (I
think), because this server will be for only one site. Is there any
downside to using a Virtual Host?

3) What does "non-matching requests (that don't contain a matching
Host: header)" mean?

4)Where is the DirectoryIndex directive? What does it do?

5)I sense a lot of reading coming up for me...
Thanks so much!

              --Urijah

On 2/8/07, Sander Temme <sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 8, 2007, at 3:56 PM, Urijah Kaplan wrote:

> That worked! I restarted (I didn't know I had to do that--when am I
> supposed to restart?) and the folder from /home/<my name>/public_html
> popped up. Seizing the opportunity, I put in my website there
> (changing the default.htm to index.html) and it worked! So, this
> experience leaves me with a few questions
>
> 1.When should I know to restart the server?

When you change the configuration file(s). Usually, a 'graceful'
restart is enough.

> 2. Why aren't the pages being served from /var/www/html/ like the
> DocumentRoot says? Is there another configuration file that's
> overriding it somewhere?

As soon as you define <VirtualHost> containers, they take over from
the 'Main Server' configuration. The first virtual host in your
configuration is the Default and receives non-matching requests (that
don't contain a matching Host: header).

> 3) Why can't I use default.htm (not a big deal obviously)

Add it to the DirectoryIndex directive. You can do this per virtual
host.

> 4) Since I clearly don't know what I'm doing, what would be a good
> resource/book to use to teach me more about Apache/Linux?

The Apache documentation:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

I have always liked "Apache: the Definitive Guide" by Ben and Peter
Laurie:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596002033?
tag=sandersweblog-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASI
N=0596002033&adid=0H8M3S43QATSYC94MFXZ&

Also, hang out on this list and you'll be helping other people in no
time!

S.

--
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx            http://www.temme.net/sander/