.htaccess LogOn Oddity

Hi,

I password protect some areas on some web sites on my server using .htaccess. I'm currently running httpd 2.0.49 compiled from source on a RedHat 7.3 web server. For some reason unknown to me, the logon screen never works on the first try. I'll fill out authentication dialog box, execute it, and the "Authentication Required" box reappears. If I re-enter the information a second time, the authentication works. This seems to occur on various browsers on both the XP and Mac platforms.

Here's the directive I use to enable .htaccess

<Directory "/home/local/directory">
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob Cohen
Principal, MojoTools Web Design
Blues Harmonica Lessons
Web   :   www.mojotools.com