Massive number of users and authentication

Hello,

I'm working on a web (and, obviously, Apache)-based
app that will manage tens of thousands of users. Each
user will have his own "private" URL space (which
content will be application-defined and
application-managed).

We want to password-protect those URLs/directories so
that only the "owner" will get access to them. We
would also very much like it to be through Apache
authentication schemes, and not a logon-like script.

For small numbers of users, we could play with
.htaccess in the associated private directories, and
some DBM or database to store the users credentials.
But would this scale for tens of thousands of users ?
Is there some better solution than to manage one
.htaccess file per private directory ?

Tia,

Nb.