Re: Building Static Apache on AIX 5.2 with GCC

Try adding --enable-shared=no and --enable-static=yes to your httpd
configure line.  As you can see when you trawl the configure output,
APR is still built with shared libraries.  Also, you'll want httpd
itself to be statically linked against the gcc stuff.  Enabling a
module as static only applies to that module.

I tried adding those options but still get the same error; "could not
find an LDAP library".

I don't know why you're not finding ldap.  Do you have a library of
the name libldap.a (or whatever suffix AIX uses, I forget) in that /
svn/lib directory?  I have no idea why configure wouldn't find it there.

Yes, libldap.a exists there.

In a broader sense, you're not really interested in having LDAP
static, APR static or the Apache modules static: you just want to
pick up that gcc runtime, right?  Have you tried moving the shared
libraries that come with gcc out of the way?  So libtool will only
find the static one to link against?

I don't have root access on this box, so I can't modify the GCC installation.

I don't suppose using IBM's C compiler is an option?

If someone could tell me they've compiled with IBM's compiler and
knows that I could run it on another box without installing the
compiler, then I would be interested in going down that path.