Re: Building Static Apache on AIX 5.2 with GCC

Try adding --enable-shared=no and --enable-static=yes to your httpd
configure line.  As you can see when you trawl the configure output,
APR is still built with shared libraries.  Also, you'll want httpd
itself to be statically linked against the gcc stuff.  Enabling a
module as static only applies to that module.

I'll give that a try in the morning.

I don't know why you're not finding ldap.  Do you have a library of
the name libldap.a (or whatever suffix AIX uses, I forget) in that /
svn/lib directory?  I have no idea why configure wouldn't find it there.

Yes, the lib appears in that directory.

In a broader sense, you're not really interested in having LDAP
static, APR static or the Apache modules static: you just want to
pick up that gcc runtime, right?  Have you tried moving the shared
libraries that come with gcc out of the way?  So libtool will only
find the static one to link against?

Right, I just want a version of everything (httpd, ldap, and
Subversion) that work on a box that doesn't have the compiler
installed.  My understanding is that not compiling / linking
statically would result in better performance.  If that is the case,
even more reason for me to go that route, as long as I don't need the
compiler installed on the system it runs on.

I don't suppose using IBM's C compiler is an option?

I can go down that path if someone can tell me that is my best option.
It costs money so there are more hoops for me to jump through at
work.  I would go down that path if someone who's done this before can
confirm for me that they can build it with IBM's compiler and what the
instructions are for doing so.

S. (perhaps someone who knows more about AIX can chime in)

--
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx            http://www.temme.net/sander/