Re: Apache 1.3 on Windows stats

Christian Toledo wrote:
> Would anyone know where I can get some numbers on market coverage for
> Apache? We run an Apache 1.3 on Win32 environment (a nightmare to
> support) and would like to know how popular is the Apache 2.x on Win32
> platform. Besides the warm & fuzzy feeling of recommending the superior
> Apache version, I would be curious to know if the numbers indicate
> Apache2.x/Win32 to be a more popular and perhaps better supported
> environment. Thanx.

First, the ASF no longer acknowledges Apache 1.3 whatsoever on threaded
architectures.

The threading support was a useful academic exercise, it certainly showed
the possibility of a rational approach to MPM (multi-process module) design.
So we are grateful for the patches.  Heck, I invested somewhere around 1,000
hours of my own time on that support.

However, it's entirely useless to continue to run Apache 1.3 on Windows or
the old Novell port - unless you have an application which -cannot- be moved
to Apache 2.0 or 2.2.  Today, the odds of that are nill...

...perhaps you have a module that doesn't support 2.0/2.2.  All odds say that
the authors are gone if it was never ported to 2.0, so your hope of resolving
a problem down the road are zilch.

You can buy this specific level of detail from either securityspace or from
netcraft, but the general adoption rate of 2.0/2.2 v.s. 1.3 should be enough
to convince you.  In the securityspace report, pay specific attention to what
they call market theft/upgrades.  The sub report (scroll to the bottom) lets
you zoom in on very specific release versions.

In apache 1.3, nobody turned off the version - in 2.0 and 2.2 it's very very
commonplace to see "Apache" with no version.  I consider the -vast- majority
of 'unversioned' Apache servers are now 2.x, and the 1.3.37 numbers should
support my contention.

Good luck in whichever directions you move next.