Re: Permissions with Apache 2.2

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:11:39 -0500, you wrote (with possible editing):

>On 12/18/06, Larry <rapp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:12:01 -0500, you wrote (with possible editing):
>>
>> ...snip

>> >As you say, things are quite clear here.  If you make a request for a
>> >directory, apache first checks the DirectoryIndex directive for files
>> >to search for in that directory (usually index.html).  If it can't
>> >find any of those files, it will attempt to provide a directory
>> >listing.  But if you Options directive for that directory doesn't
>> >include the "Indexes" option, then you will get a 403 error.
>> >
>> >More info here:
>> >http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Recipes/DirectoryListings
>> >
>> >Joshua.
>>
>> Thanks, Joshua, apparently that was it.  What threw me off was the
>> complaint about permissions - what it really meant was that the file
>> wasn't there.
>>
>> Where would you put the Options directive - in httpd.conf or under the
>> individual directory in httpd-vhosts.conf?  And what form does it
>> take?
>
>Hmmm... Did you read the reference I sent above?

Yes, I did, but the concept of separate included config files appears
to be new in 2.2.  In 1.3 and 2.0, virtual hosts were declared in one
config file, while in 2.2 it appears to be in several.  Knowing that
position in the file is important with some parameters, I asked the
question.  Furthermore, you reference DirectoryIndex which I had
simply overlooked, but my question was in regards to the Options
directive.

>It doesn't matter in particular where you put it, other than that it
>must apply to the appropriate <Directory>.  Usually it is easiest to
>find a <Directory> section in your config file that already exists for
>the relevant area and add Indexes to the Options directive in that
>section (or add "Options +Indexes" if there is no existing Options
>directive).

Ok, that answers it.   Thanks.

--

Larry