Re: apache serves cgi error as application/x-perl

On 11 Dec at 15:44 "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
<FDD5D99066749040AF9098A720E989770378003A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > -----Original Message----- From: Tony van der Hoff
[snip]

> > > This must obviously be a problem with my configuration, but
> > having fiddled
> > > about for a few days, I've not progressed much further. Changing the
> > > mime.types file for .pl to text/html is effective, but it
> > doesnt feel like
> > > the correct solution to the problem.
>
> I rather think it might be... If the program works, the program itself
> sets the mime-type. If it fails, the server returns a plain HTML file and
> so has to decide for itself the mime-type. You must have set it to
> application/x-perl somewhere.

Thanks, Owen. That's a step in the right direction. I've downloaded a fresh
copy of the source from the mirror, and yes, you are correct: it doesn't
define a application/pl mimetype.

It turns out that the Mandrive rpm for httpd contains a significantly
"enhanced" version of mime.types.

However, replacing the "enhanced" mime.types file with the original now
causes the error page to be served as plain text, which is better, but not
the answer. Hmm, I wonder what other "improvements" the french froggies have
made...

Guess I'll compile the canonical version, and install that. Thanks again,
Tony

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Buckinghamshire, England