RE: Apache accessible only from localhost on Windows XP

This is new information (not in original post) - Are you saying that
after a reboot, you get a single response with the first hit but after
that a timeout?

Other things to check out:

- try using IP address in browser to eliminate DNS issues
- what is on the homepage? I hope it's a plain HTML page... If it's some
clever dynamic content, are you sure it works with an external request?
(eg, if it does something clever with the client-IP, like a reverse DNS
lookup... you might have problems).
- what browser are you using? Get Firefox with the LiveHTTPheaders
extension and look at the request-response headers for more clues.

The point about quadruple-checking the FW is that, for security reasons,
a FW usually *drops* disallowed packets (as opposed to refusing the
connection). So timeout problems are often due to FWs (if you hear
hoof-beats, think horses, not zebras). Are you sure you only have one
FW? Check the process table...

> Listen 80
>
> As you can see, this is not the problem.

*Now* I can see, since this is the first time you post any config
snippets. The point I was making is that you should be clear that if you
do not define a Listen, apache listens by default to port 80 on *all*
IPs. However, once you define one Listen with an IP, apache listens
*only* to that IP.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.